You will find a lot of scenarios in life when you need to decide whether to employ a lawyer. For example, if you are buying a house or having a difficult time paying your bills, hiring a lawyer might not be necessary. However, it is a good thought. Nevertheless, if you have been charged with driving under the influence, assault, theft, drug or weapons, hiring criminal lawyers in Toronto is mandatory. You will want to ensure that your legal rights are safeguarded throughout the whole judicial process.
Any use of force against another individual, or even threatening to use force, can lead in assault charges. That includes hitting, poking, pushing or any action which makes the other individual feel they’re in danger.
You see, there are different types of assault charges in Toronto that includes:
- Aggravated Assault – This applied wherein the alleged victim encountered tremendous harm or hard their life risked because of the event. This type of charge is often seen in cases such as bar fights.
- Sexual Assault – This charge is applied when the physical contact was of a sexual nature and consent wasn’t provided.
- Assault with a Weapon – These are assaults which take place where one or both parties experience minor injuries. Cuts and bruises would fall in this category.
- Domestic Assault – Such are disputes which deal mainly with family scenarios like a common-law couple or married couple.
Take note that assault cases are taken seriously in Toronto and the penalties could be severe. Given that the laws around such charges could be complex, it’s crucial to have a skilled lawyer on your side. After all, you don’t like just anyone representing your case.
In spite of the latest reforms in Toronto drug laws about decriminalization of particular recreational marijuana and some low-level possessions offences, most prosecutors and police wish to show “tough on drugs.” That denotes they cure drug crimes quite aggressively, and most defendants end up having their future ruined by apparently minor offences.
The best way to safeguard yourself in the face of violent investigation and prosecution of a drug crime is to hire an equally aggressive Toronto criminal lawyer.
Penalties for theft charges can vary from a slap on the wrist to massive fines and years of imprisonment. In all cases, a theft conviction on your permanent record will massively limit your future employment potentials. That’s because no employer prefers to employ a thief. So as you can tell, it’s vital to oppose any theft accusations faster and aggressively to safeguard yourself from any unduly or underserved harsh punishments.
A DUI can be troublesome to your life. If you don’t get assistance from an experienced Toronto DUI lawyer after your arrest, it’s all but sure that you’ll lose your driving rights for some time. Following are the kinds of DUI charges:
- Multiple DUI – For each DUI conviction which you receive within ten years, you’ll experience severe penalties. That makes it crucial to combat every DUI charges.
- Underage DUI – Toronto has a zero tolerance policy for those underage If you’re currently under 21 years old and you’re caught with any amount of alcohol within your system, expect that you’ll be charged with this charge.
- You are Driving Under the Influence – Although if your BAC is below the limit, you could still be charged with a DUI when the trial can demonstrate that your capability to drive was weakened by alcohol.
- Per Se DUI – Anytime you have a BAC at or more than the legal limit, you’re assumed to be too weakened to drive, and you’ll be charged with DUI.
Weapons charges are tailed forcefully by the courts, especially since there has been an increase in weapons-related crimes on innocent civilians and police. Such charges fall under the Firearms Act and Criminal Code. Charges could be laid on anyone who had a weapon that is determined as anything which can be utilized to cause bodily harm. That denotes that virtually any item could be considered as a weapon. Some of this includes household items such as dishes, brooms and more.
Irrespective of the item, penalties for such charges often cover jail period that can obstruct your freedom. They could also result in a loss of reputation as well as a criminal record which can follow you for many years hindering travel and employment opportunities.